CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 18, 2011

did you see the Bear?

Anyone else struggle with capitalization in their classroom?  When my patience is stressed here is what our writer's workshop times sounds like:

Ms. B:  What does every sentence start with?

Student:  A capital letter.

Ms. B:  Right.  How about names?

Student:  A capital letter.

Two sentence later.....

Ms. B:  What does every sentence start with?

Student:  A capital letter.

Ms. B: (pulling on hair a bit by now...)  Can you please find your seat and capitalize all the words you know should be capitalized, then come back.

What is it about capitals?!? I'm sure my Grandma would say it's from texting...is it?  I am pretty strict when it comes to capitals.  They lose one point for every missing one on any assignment, in any subject (they are 5th grade---I figure I have to do something!)  So why can they STILL not capitalize things?

Anyway---I'll get off my soapbox and show you this fun little white board activity.  I put in on and students can do it when they finish work early.  It'll have to sink in eventually, right?  Right?!?

Magic Capitals from Sheppard Software 



1 comment:

  1. Em, I LOVE the Sheppard Software grammar games! I will definitely be adding that link to our blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...